Saturday, March 05, 2005

Polish Home Remedies

I'm sick.

Jill is in Rome.

Woe is me.

Many of my Polish students have recommended their versions of local 'medicine' that I should 'take' to feel better. By the way, I have an on-and-off fever, body aches, sore throat, a cough, an incredibly runny nose, dizziness, sleeplessness and basically I just feel like crap.

Recipe #1:
Medium to High quality Whiskey in a glass filled with ice, at least 3/4 full, so the Whiskey is very cold.
Drink one glass at a normal to fast speed. If you don't feel better, keep drinking until the bottle is empty. The important thing is to keep the Whiskey very cold, so have plenty of ice handy. The only warning was that though you may have a hangover in the morning, you will be cured!

Recipe #2:
Warm up a decent quality beer in a pot and add a few dollops of honey. Temperature should not exceed 60 degrees Celsius (130F?) as it will null the 'healing' qualities of the honey. When the Polish brew is ready, drink in one sitting, then pound a shot of good quality vodka.
Voila! You're cured!

(and a new one)
Recipe #3:
One glass of milk, 2 cloves of garlic and some honey.
Warm the milk, crush the garlic and add everything to the warmed milk. Drink the nasty concoction just before going to bed. You'll stink for a week, buy you'll feel better in the morning after sweating out the garlic (except the smell!) all night!

ugh, all I can think of is soup and smoothies, of which I have neither :-(

Oh, and by the way, EVERY SINGLE STUDENT AND COWORKER HAS SAID TO NOT TAKE MEDICINE, AS IT IS BAD FOR YOU.

Hmm, I wonder how the Poles became so pro-naturopathy?

(posts about past week in Chicago/Milwaukee/Wheaton coming as soon as I feel better-I don't have the energy to play with the camera right now.)

No comments: