Friday, May 13, 2005

Cracovia! (Someone was holding their thumbs for us!)

Here in Polska the country still can't decide which season it is (but the Communist-dominated Parliament did decide to postpone elections until the fall-hoping for a better chance at survival (approval still around 5-10%!)), as within the last 48 hours we've had temps from 32-70 F, sunshine, big puffy cumulus clouds, strong winds, biting rain and even some hail-while the Tatry mountains got some more snow. But I guess it could be worse. Some of the American School teachers who've been here awhile say that it snowed in the city in May a few years ago!

So Jill and I were successful in completing the Krakow half marathon last weekend! And so were Dawn and Lisa who joined us! I had hurt my left knee the previous weekend and I wasn't even sure if I'd be able to run-but lots of icing, stretching, resting and then using Ben Gay the day of the run helped a lot! My goal was to finish in under 2 hours and I did it in 1:54. Jill finished around 2:03 (she was hoping to beat 2 hours, too :( but she was a bit sick the week before the run-and neither of us slept very well in Kelly's stuffy flat). Lisa and Dawn finished strong and Lisa even got interviewed for TV!

The weather was crappy. Lots of dark clouds hovered over us at the start with wind and rain keeping everyone chilled before the starting gun was fired. But I had a positivie attitude about the weather improving and was the only one wearing my sunglasses-and sure enough, about half way through the run, the sun popped out and I was the only runner not squinting :)

The finish wrapped around the Wawel Castle, then up the Royal Way on the painfully unsmooth cobblestone street that killed my feet. With a final run around the Rynek square, I finished just a few meters from the tall Clock Tower (see old pics in blog). I was glad to be done with it...though a part of me felt like pushing through and doing the whole marathon...but I'd probably be injured if I had.

But, I think we all finished because there were a few Polloks and Polkas (Polish men and Polish women, respectively!) who were holding their thumbs for us! It's fun to find both the similarities and the differences between our cultures-and here's a small example. In the states, we wish someone 'good luck' and often respond with 'thanks!' or some other form of acceptance of the support. We also sometimes cross our fingers for good luck. Well, in Polska, it's actually BAD LUCK to accept a 'good luck!' comment! Because basically you're jinxing yourself. It was entertaining watching the Poles and myself stumble over this tradition with our mix of languages and habits the few days before the run! But, instead of crossing their fingers for good luck, they 'hold their thumbs' (both of them) for you. Oddly, during the end of the run, and afterwards, my right hand index and middle finger were numb-two of the most affected by the extreme cold during Geoff and mine's epic climb of 'The Idiot Journey' on Denali's Upper West Buttress almost 2 years ago. Renata, one of my favorite students quipped that perhaps I would've had warmer fingers if they were holding their thumbs rather than sticking out being crossed during the run!
:)

Oh, speaking of Geoff-he and Glenn, both of my partners from Denali are heading back this week to lay seige on the famed Cassin Ridge route up Denali's massive south face. That was our original planned route 2 years ago-but weather, equipment and especially bare, icy conditions didn't make it so feasible for us little guys. I wish you two well and will be holding my thumbs for you over the next month! Climb fast, drink a lot and sleep little!

So, back to Krakow...
There was a crazy, cute, little old lady, all dressed in white (including white panty hose!) who was running the full marathon with an umbrella strapped across her back! Well, we ran into her later in the old town square. She was shuttling her 4 heavy bags across the giant square, trying to get her and her belongings to the train station (a good 2 hours at her current pace!). We helped carry her things and she took my arm for support, as she happened to have twisted her left ankle around the 18th kilometer (42 km in the full marathon). She was from Poznan and this was her 25th marathon! She was easily 75-80 years old! Her name was Maria, and after we helped bring all her stuff to the station and helped her get her ticket, she bought us little Krakow key chain souvenirs and gave us her address and phone in Poznan (a beautiful city in Poland we haven't been to, yet). She told us she runs every day, M-F and that we were welcome to come join her. The Poznan marathon is in October (Warsaw September)...so we'll see. Anyhow, she was quite inspiring-if she can run 25 marathons...I can at least do one! (Besides the umpteen marathon-plus-length days I hiked with a pack while walking along the Pacific Crest Trail way back in '97 (42.5 was my longest-that has to count for something, right?!)).

So, Jill had noticed and commented on the fact that this was my first competitive event in over ten years! After so much racing in triathlons, road and mountain bike races in Arizona, I had solidly shifted to non-competitive (but sometimes life-threatening!) sports-pursuing sea kayaking, long distance hiking, rock climbing, mountaineering and waterfall-ice climbing. I must say, it was nice to run against others-thought it's still really against myself. So, for the first time in over a decade, I have a pretty medal and ribbon added to my wall. Perhaps while stuck in this flat part of Europe I'll add a few more before our time is done here...


Well, I came back to Warsaw and English First to have another class cancelled. Many students are starting to save their zloty for the summer holiday(s). And, unfortunately, Hanna, my private student also cancelled after our class this week, too. :( So, I'm back down to 18-ish hours a week (paid), but the load is lighter and giving me more time to plan, which is good since my First Certificate exam prep group needs all the help they can get-as their exams for English are in one month.

So, since I'm working a bit less, I'm helping out with the American School a bit more. Yesterday I got to be a chapperone and tour guide for a visiting school, in town for a middle school volleyball tournament. I picked up the Belgrade (Beograd) kids and 2 adults, cashed their Euro and dollars into zloty and we took a big blue bus to Wilanow Palace for some sight-seeing. It was fun being a tour-guide for a few hours-giving me a taste of what it must be like for Tessa, our lovely host in Italy, who does this for a living. Hmm, maybe someday that'll be my career-so many options!?!

Well, that's it for now. Italy pics are still on the way. Oh, and if you're thinking at all of making a European vacation, Jill and I will be romping around the Alps, Dolomites, Slovenia and Croatia from June 19 until around August 15. See you somewhere?!

Ciao!
jr and jsj
:)

No comments: