"I am in Portland now. I made good progress until here, clocking 78 miles the first day, then 92 miles the next. Today I had a late start and arrived at the edge of Portland on Rt. 30 after 51 miles. I feel strong and motivated to continue. There is purpose in each crank of the pedals and that feels good.
I left Seattle on Sunday morning at 07:15 after friends gathered to see me off at the Pocock Rowing Center. Dale Smith, Brett Wolfe, Beryl Fernandes, Cem Terzi, Jenny Frazier, Kris Parfitt and Nancy accompanied me on their bicycles. Everyone had varying commitments that day and I was certainly grateful for their enthusiasm to show up that early on a Sunday morning. Beyond Seward Park, Cem and Beryl remained with me until Puyallup, 50 miles away from where we had started.
Somewhere in Renton we were looking for the beginnings of the Interurban Trail and magically came across two young men, Leif and Owen on their bikes. They took us to the trail and rode with us for a while. If they had described how to get to it, we probably would have been lost. As we spoke while riding, Owan told me of his plans to ride down the California coastline. Hearing of my climb of Denali, he brought up "this guy from Norway that bicycled to Everest." I told him about Goran, and he told me that one of his teachers was friends with him. Small world, and there was a wonderful magic in that encounter.
That evening in McKenna just short of Yelm, I started looking for a campsite. It was getting late and that darn fence along the way had not quit. If I could find a suitable break in the fence, I would camp... In McKenna, I stopped at a gas station to ask for campsites, then asked about a hotel when the answer was not forthcoming. After I told the attendant about the non-stop fence, she asked a gentleman who was there briefly who then offered me a development that he managed. "20 acre lots with Rainier views," he said, "bunch doctors are buying them." He was going to open the gate for me which was a couple miles away. When I threw down my sleeping bag on the ground, it was around seven pm. I was out like a light...
I slept 12 straight hours, then riding south, I was able to identify the STP (annual Seattle to Portland bike tour) marks all along the way. They were round pink colored marks on the road side that made the ride easy. I did lose my way once around Napavine, but kind locals send me in the right direction. I was able to see the wide profile of Mt. St. Helens to the east. In Kelso, I checked into a hotel and Nancy found me there. No computers, no distractions, we were catching up now that all the rush to get on the road was over.
I had a relatively short ride to Portland. All along there was talk of St. Helens blowing steam. The gas stations had the directions to the mountain taped on their windows - I guess they were tired of repeating the same to gawking tourists! We will be contacting the media along the way, but we will have to compete with St. Helens now, the November elections later..."
Erden.
Ride safe, Erden, our thoughts are with you!
For more information on Erden's round the world adventure, go to:
http://around-n-over.org/
Acadia National Park 2018
8 years ago
No comments:
Post a Comment